Last updated: September 2020
Local Village Network (later referred to as “LVN”, “we”, “us” or “our“) offers services through its digital application (the “LVN App“). The LVN App helps young people aged 14-24 years (the “Young Person“) find various opportunities. It also has a portal to allow professional adults to sign up as mentors (the “Adult Volunteer“). LVN is a Registered Charity in the UK (Charity Number 1161275).
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
“Personal information” (also referred to as “Personal Data” in some countries) is any information that can be used to identify you or that we can link to you. We will collect personal information about you from a variety of sources, including information we collect from you directly (e.g. when you contact us), and information we collect about you from the following other sources.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT DIRECTLY FROM YOU
LVN collects the following categories of information directly from you:
- Full Name
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Your skills, knowledge and interests
- The name and email address of two references you provide (and their relationship to you)
- Whether you are DBS checked or not
- A recent picture
- Expertise (areas you can give advice on)
- Location preferences (locations you can visit)
- Your feedback
- Log-in details
- [If you have accessed another website]
- [Number of clicks on the LVN website]
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
We collect, process and use your personal information when you:
- Register for a new account or log into an existing account
- Click on the ‘I want to go’ feature when using the LVN App
- Select a recommended event when using the LVN App
- Click on a link to another website when using the LVN App
- Click on different parts of the LVN website
- Visit a LVN Host Centre on or offline and complete LVN feedback forms
- Ask us a question through our ‘Contact Us’ link on the LVN App
INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM OTHER SOURCES
We may also receive information about you from other sources, including third parties. A third party is any person or group besides you and LVN (for example, an LVN Host Centre).
LVN collects the following categories of information from LVN Host Centres including:
- Registered location of LVN Host Centres if selected
- The number of and types of selected events you attend
CHILDREN UNDER 14 YEARS OF AGE
We believe it is important to provide added protection for children online. We encourage parents and guardians to spend time online with their children to participate in and monitor their online activity. A guardian is a person who has the authority (and the corresponding duty) to care for the personal and property interests of another person, in the absence of a parent.
Users must be at least 14 years old or older to register for an account with us to use our services. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 14. If a parent or guardian believes that we have in our database the personal information of a child under the age of 14, please contact us and we will use our best efforts to remove the information from our records.
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
The LVN App is designed to make it easy for young people to gain access to support. All data collected is to ensure young people are receiving the right kind of opportunities.
We will use your personal information to make suggestions for you. For example, if you select ‘I am interested in Sport’ LVN will use that information to suggest recommended sports events in your local area.
We use your personal information:
- To provide our services
- For customer support and to respond to your inquiries when you contact us
- To send in-app messages to your LVN ‘News’ page and other information or materials that may interest you in accordance with your preferences
- To send you newsletters and feedback forms to your email address
- To make suggestions for recommended events based on your interests
- To create bespoke events
- To customise the services available to you
- To monitor the number of referrals made through the ‘I want to go’ service and to identify more popular events (potentially to make recommendations to councils and funders)
- To improve the LVN App
- To understand the number of people that use the LVN App and how they use it
- To assess the effectiveness of our events, promotional campaigns, and publications
- As we believe reasonably necessary or appropriate to comply with our legal obligations; respond to legal process or requests for information issued by government authorities or other third parties; or protect your, our, or others’ rights
THE LEGAL BASIS ON WHICH WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We must have a legal basis to process your personal information. In most cases the legal basis will be one of the following:
- Necessary to provide services to you – We may use your personal information in order to provide you access to the LVN App and allow you to use it.
- Legitimate (or reasonable) interests – We may use your personal information for our legitimate interests to:
- respond to your requests
- provide and maintain services on the LVN App
- maintain the security of the LVN App by using the information we have about you to help verify accounts and activity as well as investigating suspicious activity or violations of our terms or policies
- monitor the levels of opportunities a Young Person engages with
- improve the services and content on the LVN App
We may share your personal information with third parties under the following circumstances:
- LVN Trained Youth Practitioner: If you request a meeting with an Adult Volunteer on the LVN App, LVN Trained Youth Practitioners will have access to your first name, age and email address.
- LinkedIn: If you choose to sign into the LVN account through LinkedIn.
- Service providers. A service provider is an organisation, business or individual which offers services to others in exchange for payment. We may share your personal information with the following service providers:
- Cloud service provider (for data storage)
- Microsoft Power Bi (for data analytics)
- Marketing companies (to help send you our newsletters)
- Law enforcement agencies, courts, regulators and government authorities. We may share your personal information with these parties where we believe this is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation, or otherwise to protect our rights or the rights of any third party. Council and government agencies where appropriate.
- LVN Host Centres for general monitoring and evaluation purposes.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFER
Some of our service providers are based outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and the United Kingdom so their processing of your personal information will involve a transfer of data outside the EEA.
Whenever we transfer your personal information out of the EEA and the United Kingdom, we ensure a similar degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring at least one of the following safeguards is implemented:
- We will only transfer your personal information to countries that have been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection for personal information by the European Commission and/or the UK Government.
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission and/or approved in the United Kingdom which give personal information the same protection it has in the EEA and the United Kingdom.
Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal information out of the EEA and the United Kingdom.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
The LVN App will contain links to websites not owned or controlled by LVN. LVN does not have any control over these third-party websites. We encourage you to be aware of these other third-party websites and their privacy statements, as we cannot control and are not responsible for privacy policies or practices of third-party websites.
INFORMATION SECURITY AND DATA RETENTION
We implement different measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk to the personal information we process. These measures are aimed at ensuring that your personal information is safe and kept confidential (or private). We evaluate these measures on a regular basis to ensure the security of the processing.
To determine the appropriate period for keeping your personal information, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve these purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances we may anonymize your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you, in which case we may use such information without further notice to you (as, once anonymized, it will cease to constitute personal data).
YOUR RIGHTS OVER YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can unsubscribe or opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of an automatic email.
You have certain rights regarding your personal information, subject to local law. These include the following rights to:
- access your personal information
- correct the information we hold about you
- delete your personal information
- restrict our use of your personal information
- object to our use of your personal information
- receive your personal information in a usable electronic format and transmit it to a third party (right to data portability)
- lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority (the ICO in the United Kingdom).
We will contact you if we need additional information from you in order to honour your requests.
If you would like to discuss or exercise such rights, please contact us via the email address provided below.
If you would like to contact us with questions about our privacy or data protection practices, please contact us at:
Local Village Network
27 Pear Tree Street
London EC1V 3SB